Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Action Alert on SB 1274: The feds won't see del Castillo without a letter from Abercrombie


According to Rafael del Castillo's morning report from Washington, D.C., the people who need to issue the decision that will determine the fate of SB 1274 will not do so until they get a written request from Governor Abercrombie.

I have heard nothing on my call to Sadena Thevarajah, unfortunately. Dr. Anthony Rodgers, chief of Strategic Planning for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services was very helpful in trying to get me an appointment with the CCIIO. He positively identified Karen Pollitz as the person to see outside of the Director, Steve Larsen, and spoke with her, but she has declined to see me. She is insisting that CCIIO will do nothing without a letter of inquiry from Gov. Abercrombie. My email from Mike Ng – go to DC – is not enough.

Haw. Med. Assn went to see Mike yesterday and copied me on an email to him confirming their request that the Governor send such a letter. HMA also sent the Governor a lengthy letter urging him to veto SB1274.

Join HMA in urging the Governor to send a letter to Karen Pollitz requesting that the CCIIO confirm that our EXISTING law already provides the 16 minimum consumer protections, so he can VETO SB1274!

ACTION ALERT

Please contact Governor Abercrombie's office and ask him to write the letter to Karen Pollitz.

You can call him at (808) 586-0034. Or you can go to his online contact form here.

The subject could be:

Please send a letter to CCIIO asking for their decision now.

The message could be:

Dear Governor Abercrombie,

Please send a letter to Karen Pollitz requesting that the CCIIO confirm that our EXISTING law already provides the 16 minimum consumer protections, so you can VETO SB 1274!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm the mom of a child with disabilities. Hannah's first neurologist said she might never develop beyond the level of a 2 month old infant, and there wasn't anything I could do about it. The brain damage was just too severe. Nine years later, she walks, uses a touchscreen computer and I've just been shown she can learn to construct sentences and do simple math with the right piece of technology. Along the way, I discovered I needed to teach myself what Hannah's rights to services really were. Learning about early intervention services led to reading about IDEA and then to EPSDT. I've been waiting for the Obama administration to realize the power and potential of EPSDT for the medical rights - including the right to stay at home with their families - of children with disabilities. The health reform people talk about long term care, and the disability people talk about education and employment, but nobody is talking about EPSDT. So I am.